Since I first saw Gilt Sylke Twist thread on Mary Corbet’s Needle’nThread, I’ve wanted to use it on one of my own projects. It’s so beautiful and sparkly. I hadn’t embroidered for years and wasn’t quite ready to use such precious thread. Now that I’ve been stitching for a while and feel more confident, I’m ready to use this lovely thread, with it’s special needle doing a stitch I’ve not done before.
The thread is Gilt Sylke Twist, the needle is a #7 Japanese Needle and the stitch is detached buttonhole. I’ll be stitching the rose on the Trevilian’s Cap project next week; one rose, anyway.
As I worked through the different sections of the Royal Persian Blossom project, I decided to leave the little, tiny detail stitches until later. I wanted to get the big areas stitched so I could feel that I was making progress. Yesterday I reached a point where it was logical to go back and add the detailed stitches that give the piece a bit of zing!
Using only three stitches, these little V shaped stitches with a center line add a touch of color to the border and tie together the brown shades of the leaves and the gold chain stitch inside the blue border. They aren’t big or important, but they are just perfect for pulling it all together.
I’ve been working on the Royal Persian Blossom project over the last few days. It’s quite soothing to be back to crewel work after the demanding silk work of Trevilian’s Cap. One of the reasons I have multiple projects going at once is so I can move from one technique to another.
The satin stitch border around what are called the “Upper Vine Petals” in the instructions were fun to work. I like working satin stitch around curves – taking those short, angled stitches to fill in the gaps on the curve is fun.
Adding the stem stitch in gold to the inside of the satin stitch really made the blue stand out. It’s one of the classic color combinations – blue and yellow. Every time I see it I think of France! When it came time to stitch the leaves inside each of the petals, I ran up against a problem.