Hooray! I found the solution!

Remember that blue blob that was masquerading as a flower right in the middle of Trevelyon’s cap? It’s the one for which I could find no partner in nature. Well, I finally found a solution! And best of all, I didn’t have to take out any stitches, I only had to add a few. And even more best of all, I love how it looks now!

What did I do? Trellis. Not couching, just simple diagonal stitches, which created a trellis over the top of the bottom two sections. Now it resembles a blue thistle (I know, there’s no such thing in nature, but it’s closer to something natural now than it ever was before!) Continue reading

Detached buttonhole vs chain in a very tiny space

Last time I wrote about how difficult it was to work detached buttonhole stitch inside the tiny shapes at the bottom of the purple flowers. These little petals are only 1.5 cm/1 inch long and 0.5 cm/1/4 inch wide. By the time I worked chain stitch around the edge, there wasn’t much room for any detached button hole stitches in the center! I tried doing back stitch around the edge but I couldn’t get the needle under the stitch without stripping the gold wire of the Gilt Sylke Twist. Impossible.

Although I managed to complete two leaves, they look like a mess of twisted thread rather than any recognizable stitch. Well, if the shape is too small to accommodate the stitch, then change the stitch. Seems obvious now but I was determined and only gave up after pretty obviously being unsuccessful.

So I asked myself , “What was the defining look of detached button hole stitch that I wanted here?”┬á An open, airy look. What could I use that would achieve a similar effect? Chain stitch. Good old reliable chain stitch. And it worked. It looks great. It wasn’t difficult. The gold wire didn’t strip off the silk thread of Gilt Sylke Twist. It fills the shape nicely and adds a lovely texture to the bottom of the flower.

So, after much trial and even more error, my recommendation is to use chain stitch rather than detached buttonhole stitch in a very tiny space.

Seeing it as it will be…

It has not been a good weekend for stitching. Maybe it’s because I’m unsettled about going to England on Monday. I’m thinking about what to take, what not to forget, what I might need, what I think I’ll need and then reject as unnecessary…Or maybe it’s just a slump. Slumps happen and they never feel good when they do.

I worked on the purple flowers at the bottom of the design most of the afternoon. Doing the detached buttonhole stitch in such a small shape was really difficult. I couldn’t get my needle to go under the threads properly so it ended up looking crowded.

Continue reading