Leaves galore

Much of the weekend I was busy stitching thousands of tiny seed stitches to finish the leaves on the Floral Bed Cover. After doing a few more leaves, I decided Rachel’s idea of stitching more densely was a good one and would give more color to each leaf. By splitting the thread of the linen fabric, I was able to make the seed stitches smaller and it gave me more flexibility to place them exactly where I wanted each stitch to be. It took a lot longer, though, than stitching through the holes between the warp and weft of the linen.

Continue reading

Seeded leaves

Seeding and chain stitch. I made the choice for the leaves and so far I’m really happy with how they look. I’ve done chain stitch all down the middle of the vein and seeding from the middle outward to gently color each leaf.

When I’ve done all of them this way. I will do a little experiment and add a second color of seeding to each leaf. Look closely at the stem coming into the leaf and you can see that it has three shades of green.

Continue reading

Last flower finished – it’s pink!

Pink has never been my favorite color. As a teenager I thought it was too “Barbie doll” like and as an adult I found most pinks either to bright or too insipid. Lately, though, I’ve come to like pink and the pinks in the DMC Floche a broder color range are lovely.

This last flower is a multi-petaled flower – something like a daisy or a mum. I could have done the whole thing using long, detached chain (or lazy daisy) stitched but I wanted to experiment and try something different for the base or bottom most stitches. I began by stitching long rows of chain stitch out from the center equidistant apart.

Continue reading